No need to bother with canned sauces. This Roasted Red Pepper Enchilada Sauce is super easy to make, and has a deliciously unique smoky-spicy chipotle flavor.
Whenever I’ve made enchiladas in the past, I usually picked up canned enchilada sauce. It’s pretty convenient and usually inexpensive so why not? But the problem is, the canned red peppers tend to be somewhat flavorless and oily. So the convenience factor was the only reason I bought them.
But that’s why I LOVE this recipe. Because this sauce:
- is easy to make in under 5 minutes, with no chopping required.
- makes 3 cups sauce, so it’s perfect for using with a big batch of enchiladas.
- tastes unique compared to other enchilada sauces, with a strong chipotle and roasted red pepper flavor throughout.
- is so much more nutritious than canned sauces (you know exactly what you’re getting) and it’s oil-free!
how to make Roasted Red Pepper Enchilada Sauce:
To a blender, add the roasted red peppers, diced tomatoes, green chiles, nutritional yeast, Spanish paprika, garlic powder, chipotle powder, salt and lemon juice. Process until the sauce is smooth. Enjoy!
If you make these Roasted Red Pepper Enchilada Sauce, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your photo with #veggie__chick on Instagram.
Roasted Red Pepper Enchilada SaucePin Rate
- 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers – in water, drained
- 12 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can mild green chiles
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Process until smooth (starting on low speed and increasing to medium). This recipe makes 3 cups enchilada sauce.