Trader Joe’s is one of the true joys of my life. Ok, so maybe that sounded a little dramatic but it’s true. =) This recipe uses something called “Soy Chorizo”. I use the version from Trader Joe’s and it adds such a special flavor to this and many other dishes. It’s also made in the slow cooker, so it’s easy to make. This is an excellent weeknight meal idea!
There are times in your life when you stumble upon a food so delicious that it requires a recipe dedicated to it. This is such a recipe- in tribute to one of my favorite stores (or maybe THE favorite store)- Trader Joe’s. Just the thought of moving to an area without one makes me panic. There are so many things I love from this amazing store, and Soy Chorizo being in the top 5. I’ve used this stuff in pastas, Mexican dishes, and of course- CHILI! It adds a really nice flavor- and a little kick.
If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s in your neighborhood, you can substitute with another soy chorizo, or just make it without. It’s still super delicious! To begin this easy recipe, prep your ingredients. All you need to do is chop the onions and pepper. Everything else is in a can. Throw everything into a slow cooker and stir well.
Doesn’t that look good already? I have to say I’ve eaten it cold like this and it’s really good. But we should probably cook it to get the best flavor, right? =) Cook in the slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours or high for 5-6 hours. Scoop out into a bowl and enjoy!
Note: *You can also cook this on your stovetop. Just cook the onions and peppers first over medium heat (and a little olive oil), then add all remaining ingredients and let simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Slow Cooker Soy Chorizo Chili
- Yield: 8-10
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (I like to use different flavors…”Garlic and Olive Oil”, etc.)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 small can green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet corn
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved (I like San Marzano tomatoes)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 pkg. (12 ounces) Soy Chorizo from Trader Joe’s, casing removed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup water
- In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and stir. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- *You can also cook this on your stovetop. Just cook the onions and peppers first over medium heat (and a little olive oil), then add all remaining ingredients and let simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.