What could be better than super easy, no-bake chocolately pieces of heaven? I love that these Energy Bites are SO healthy, and I can enjoy them for a quick breakfast running out the door to work, an afternoon snack, or even dessert! It also amazes me that there is no sugar! All the sweetness comes from the dates. =)
Have I ever mentioned that I’m not really a breakfast person? I’m generally not hungry when I wake up, and I don’t even allow myself enough time as it is. Usually, I’m making some tea or grabbing a water with lemon and running out the door. That’s why I love this recipe so much. It’s so easy to make, and it’s perfect to throw a few of these in a Ziploc bag for work. I can enjoy them peacefully at my desk when I’m hungry.
To start, add the almond slices to a food processor and process for about 30 seconds, until they are chopped very fine. I use almonds for this recipe but feel free to substitute with other nuts or seeds. Add the cocoa, flax seed, sea salt and oats and process for another 20 seconds or so, until combined and the oats are chopped. My food processor sometimes pushes the ingredients to the bottom of the bowl, so I have to stir it every once in awhile to make sure the mixture is evenly blended.
Now add the medjool dates and melted coconut oil. Process for 2-3 minutes (again, stirring as necessary). At this point, the mixture should be sticky enough to form into balls. You can test this by squeezing the mix between your fingers. If they are not sticking, add a little more coconut oil and process again. Then, form the mixture into 1 inch balls. Note: I’ve found that you can’t really “roll” these between your hands to form the balls; you need to shape them, pressing with your hands until they are in ball form.
Roll the balls around in the unsweetened coconut so it sticks, and put into an airtight container. Let sit in the fridge for an hour or so before devouring. They will last for days in the fridge.
Don’t forget to share! =)Print
No-Bake Chocolate Coconut Energy Bites (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 22 1x
- 3/4 cup almond slices
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed (if possible, use whole flax seeds and grind them yourself)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups organic old fashioned oats, gluten free if desired
- 1 pound medjool dates, seeds removed (make sure the dates are very soft, I’ve used some brands that are more firm and will struggle in the food processor)
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (finely shredded will stick better)
- Add the almonds to a food processor and process about 30 seconds, until finely chopped.
- Add cocoa, flax seed, sea salt and oats. Process another 20 seconds or so, until blended.
- Add dates and coconut oil. Process for 2-3 minutes or until mixture is well blended. You may need to stir every minute so everything gets mixed equally.
- Test the mixture so it is firm enough to form into balls. If it’s not or too dry, add a little more melted coconut oil.
- Form into 1 inch balls. Put into an airtight container and put in the fridge at least an hour before serving. These balls will last for days in the fridge and make a quick breakfast or snack.