I just love this recipe for Curried Gnocchi with Golden Beets. It has a subtle curry flavor mixed in with the sweet flavor of golden beets.
So I consider myself a pretty adventurous cook. Any mention of some strange new vegetable, grain, or a healthy alternative gets me excited. And sometimes, I forget that the rest of the world isn’t like me.
I was having dinner with 2 work colleagues the other day, at an Indian restaurant outside of Toronto. I started discussing my blog, and vegan cooking, and how I like cooking with flax eggs, cashew cream and nutritional yeast. They just looked at me with blank stares and I realized that maybe I was coming on a bit strong! Ha. I guess that’s the world of vegan cooking though. To me, it’s a normal daily routine but sometimes I forget this is not the “normal” for most of America (and Canada for that sake).
Still, I just love
shocking educating people on new and interesting foods. Food is one of those joys in life that spans across all cultures and languages, and I want to share my “meat-free culture” with everyone. =) Luckily, the Indian place I took them to totally rocked and I turned one “Indian food non-believer” into a believer. My job was done there.
And speaking of Indian food, this curried gnocchi recipe came to one day when I was trying to think of what to do with gnocchi. I wanted to do something different and then- ah ha!- golden beets popped into my head! I had only used golden beets once before in a pasta recipe and it was so good I had to find another use for them.
Curry also seemed like the perfect compliment to the sweetness in the beets. It’s not often that I create a recipe and it works out exactly as I wanted it to, the very first time. This was such a recipe; it was love at first bite! I highly recommend putting this in your monthly rotation of recipes; it’s definitely a keeper. =)
To begin, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons unsalted vegetable broth to pan. Then, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, being careful not to burn.
Next add the onion and cook 1 minute, stirring, then the beets and cook for 3 minutes. And lastly, add the swiss chard, remaining 2 cups vegetable stock, and all spices.
Cover and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer about 8-9 minutes or until beets are tender.
Finally, add gnocchi to mixture, cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add salt to taste.
Did I mention how yummy this Curried Gnocchi with Golden Beets is? If you like the flavor of curry, this one is a winner.
Curried Gnocchi with Golden BeetsPin Rate
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons unsalted vegetable broth - divided
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 white onion - diced
- 1 medium golden beet - peeled and cut into thin slices (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups Swiss chard - remove white parts
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 17- ounce package gnocchi
- salt - to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons unsalted vegetable broth to pan. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, being careful not to burn.
- Add onion and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add beets and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add Swiss chard, remaining 2 cups vegetable stock, and all spices. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer about 8-9 minutes or until beets are tender.
- Add gnocchi to mixture, cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve. Add salt to taste.