Add the steel cut oats and water to the Instant Pot. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock. Press the Porridge button if your pressure cooker has one (or you can also use Manual/Pressure Cook). Set to 6 minutes, and turn the knob on the top of the lid to 'Sealing' (not venting). The Instant Pot will automatically turn on and start to build pressure. After about 10 minutes, the timer will set to 6 minutes and it will begin to cook.
After the 6 minutes are done, let it sit for an additional 8-10 minutes to release the pressure (you will see the L0:02, etc. on the screen which means it is releasing pressure on low heat). When the pressure is released, remove the lid. (Note: If the pressure is not released, you won't be able to open it).
Stir and add the cooked oatmeal to a bowl, and add toppings of choice. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-6 days. Note: the oatmeal will thicken more as is sits. See more important tips below...
- This recipe calls for 2 1/2 to 3 cups water. For this amount, it will all depend on how thick/thin you like your oatmeal. If you're not sure, err on the side of less with 2 1/2 cups water (you can always add a bit more plant-based milk later to thin it out).
- Some 8-quart Instant Pots may give a "burn" message. If you have any issues, I highly recommend checking out this blog post---> Instant Pot Burn Message- which can help you troubleshoot the issue. And if you do have an 8-quart, I'd recommend adding at least 3 cups water to avoid getting that burn message.
- Make sure that your Instant Pot lid is properly sealed (meaning the sealing ring is properly in place and clean) before securing the lid. If not sealed properly, the oatmeal may burn and stick to the bottom of the pot.
- To double the recipe, use the same cooking time (6 minutes).
- Generally, I made this recipe using water. But I also recommend trying out organic apple juice for a tart/sweet twist!
- Serve this oatmeal with my Homemade Almond Milk. Yum.
- This recipe makes a total of 2 1/2 cups cooked oatmeal (if using 2 1/2 cups water), which is roughly 2/3 cup per serving. If you use more water, it may change the serving size.
- Nutrition information below is for cooked steel-cut oatmeal only and does not include any toppings.
- Topping Ideas: Date Paste, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, blackberries, apples, pears, golden raisins, chopped Medjool dates, cinnamon, flaxseed, coconut flakes, peanut or almond butter, maple syrup or agave, brown sugar, all kinds of nut, vegan chocolate chips, etc.
Serving: 0.6cup | Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 7.2g | Fat: 2.8g | Sodium: 1.7mg | Sugar: 5.9g