Vegan Nachos with Queso Cheese- a protein-packed, oil-free dish filled with nutritious veggies & drizzled with addicting vegan cashew cheese.
These vegan nachos are one of my favorite go-to dinners, when I don’t have a lot of time but I’m still craving something filling, crunchy and nutritious. They are also- you guessed it- oil free and SUPER healthy, loaded with yummy veggies, beans, rice and all sorts of toppings.
The queso cheese is optional (if you’re short on time) but I highly recommend it! If you don’t have time to make the cheese, you can easily substitute with salsa, vegan sour cream, or avocado and it’s still so good!
Let’s get to it…
It’s easiest to make your brown rice (or quinoa) ahead of time. Also, prepare the vegan queso in your food processor or high powered blender. Set aside.
Then heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the vegetable broth and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
Next add the zucchini, sweet peppers, jalapeÃ±o, and mushrooms. Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are soft.
Add the Spanish paprika, onion powder, cumin, salt and chili powder. Stir and reduce heat to medium.
Finally, add the brown rice and beans. Cook 1-2 minutes or until warm throughout, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Layer a plate with tortilla chips. Top with bean/veggie mix and drizzle with vegan queso. Add additional toppings, if desired. Serves 6.
If you make these Vegan Nachos with Queso Cheese, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your photo with #veggie__chick on Instagram.
Vegan Nachos with Queso CheesePin Rate
- 1/4 cup organic vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 small zucchini - diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped baby bell sweet peppers - or regular bell peppers- red, yellow, orange or green
- 1 jalapeño - seeded and diced fine
- 1 1/2 cups chopped white button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa - quick tip: Buy Trader Joe’s Frozen Organic Brown Rice and use 3/4 of 1 pouch
- 15 ounce can pinto beans - rinsed and drained
- 1/2 batch (1 cup) Vegan Queso
- Additional toppings: tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, salsa, or vegan sour cream.
- Make the brown rice or quinoa ahead of time. Also, if desired, prepare the Vegan Queso in your food processor or high powered blender. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add vegetable broth and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add zucchini, sweet peppers, jalapeño, and mushrooms. Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are soft. Then add Spanish paprika, onion powder, cumin, salt and chile powder. Stir and reduce heat to medium. Add brown rice and beans. Cook 1-2 minutes or until warm throughout, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Layer a plate with tortilla chips. Top with bean/veggie mix and drizzle with Vegan Queso. Add additional toppings, if desired. Serves 4.