Refreshing Turmeric Green Tea Smoothie, made with matcha green tea powder and packed with healthy ingredients. It’s super easy to make in your blender!
The first time I had a green tea smoothie I was living in Hawaii. I had ordered the Matcha Green Tea Smoothie from Jamba Juice…and yum! I was officially hooked.
And somehow years later back in Michigan, this smoothie was born.
If only I could drink it on a beach in Hawaii. Then this whole story could come full circle. =)
But no matter where you are, this Turmeric Green Tea Smoothie is light and refreshing, with an energizing boost of caffeine and a sweet, creamy flavor.
Health Benefits of this smoothie:
And not only is this smoothie super delicious, but it’s also LOADED with nutritional benefits for your body.
First let’s talk about turmeric…
- 26 percent of our daily manganese needs
- 16 percent of our daily iron
- 5 percent of our daily potassium
- 3 percent of our daily Vitamin C
It’s also anti-inflammatory, used for pain relief, has antioxidant effects (which is good for our liver), improves brain function, plays a role in digestion, and so much more.
And lastly, it’s worth noting that turmeric and cracked black pepper work well together, as the black pepper helps the turmeric absorb in our bodies.
But the good news is, you don’t need to add black pepper to this smoothie (unless you want to), as the avocado also acts as a healthy fat that helps the turmeric absorb.
Second, let’s explore a bit about match green tea…
Matcha green tea powder is loaded with antioxidants, and it also protects the liver, helps with brain function, and more.
So together, the turmeric and green tea make this smoothie an antioxidant powerhouse! It’s something you can feel good about starting your day with and of course it tastes amazing too.
With so many benefits, I’m actually wondering why I don’t drink this smoothie everyday. =)
Tips for making this smoothie:
- First, there is a big difference between regular green tea and matcha green tea. Matcha is a much brighter green which comes from chlorophyll, whereas, regular green tea is more brown and dull. I recommend only buying matcha green tea for this recipe (and not regular tea), otherwise the flavor will be very bitter.
- You can find matcha green tea powder at specialty stores (like Whole Foods) near the spice section, or on Amazon.
How to make this Green Tea Smoothie:
To make this smoothie, all you need is a good clean blender. Add in all the ingredients, and blend it on high speed until smooth
Then throw in a compostable straw, and you have yourself an amazingly refreshing breakfast smoothie or a healthy snack.
- High-Powered Blender- my favorite is the Vitamix. This machine is a godsend. I never knew how much I was missing it until I got one.
Looking for more smoothie recipes? Try one of these!
- Kiwi Mango Lime Smoothie
- Mango Cucumber Lime Smoothie (with a kick!)
- Acai Bowl (like a smoothie in bowl!)
If you try this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your photo with #veggie__chick on Instagram. I just love to see my recipes being made in YOUR kitchen!
Turmeric Green Tea Smoothie (Vegan, Gluten Free)Pin Rate
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 medium banana
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup – add more or less depending on how sweet you like it
- 7-10 ice cubes – depending on thickness preferred
- Add all ingredients to blender. Blend until smooth.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in March 2016. It was then republished in December of 2019 with tips, nutritional information, and FAQs.