Creamy Sweet Potato and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus- a unique, nutritious appetizer for holiday parties or a healthy snack.
Have I told you how much I love hummus? I seriously eat it almost everyday. I’m always looking for new recipes and new ways to make it. And since the air is crisp and it’s feeling all fall-like, a sweet potato hummus seemed the way to go. This one has a secret ingredient- curry! That’s not to say that this dish tastes “curry-ish”. The curry just gives it a distinctive flavor that will have your guests wondering what makes it so good.
To begin, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the 2 sweet potatoes on the parchment paper and place in a 400 degree oven.
Note: Sweet potatoes technically have 2 layers of skin. For this recipe, you remove the first layer and leave the bottom layer of skin on. The other option is to leave them completely unpeeled and then remove the skins before putting them in the food processor. I prefer to peel only the outside skin and then throw them in (with a thin layer of skin still on them). I like the texture it gives to the hummus, but it’s good either way.
After 15 minutes of baking, remove the baking sheet from the oven, and add the red pepper strips. Then put the pan back in the oven for 30 minutes.
The sweet potatoes should be soft and the red peppers should be browned. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Next, in a food processor or high powered blender, add the chickpeas, sweet potatoes, red pepper, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, curry powder and cayenne powder. Process until smooth.
Finally, serve this Sweet Potato and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with pita bread, apple chips (yum!), carrots, etc.
Sweet Potato & Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (Vegan, Gluten Free)Pin Rate
- 2 medium sweet potatoes - peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium red pepper - seeded and cut into strips
- 1 can - 15 ounce chickpeas, rinsed, drained and skins removed (don't skip this step- it helps to make the hummus creamy)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice - about 1 small lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- smoked paprika - for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the 2 sweet potatoes on the parchment paper, skin side up, and place in a 400 degree oven. After 15 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven, add the red pepper strips and put back in the oven for 30 minutes. When ready, the sweet potatoes should be soft and the red peppers should be browned. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a food processor or high powered blender, add the chickpeas, sweet potatoes, red pepper, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, curry powder and cayenne powder. Process until smooth.
- Sprinkle with paprika and serve with pita bread, carrots, pretzels, etc. This hummus will last for a few days in the fridge.
*Serving size is 2 tablespoons.