This Sweet and Spicy Vegan BBQ Sauce is tangy and sweet, and contains less than a fourth of the sugar of most store brand sauces. It’s also really easy to make.
You might be thinking (like I used to) that making homemade barbecue sauce is a serious waste of time. I mean, there are so many bottled versions that you can easily buy at the store, right?
It’s true. The good news is that many bbq sauces you’ll find out there ARE vegan. But some are not and may contain ingredients such as honey, anchovies, or milk products.
And most of those brands are SUPER high in sugar, containing high-fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners that are NOT good for your body. Even Sweet Baby Ray’s, a very popular brand, gives you more sugar in 2 tablespoons than eating 3 Oreo’s. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather eat the Oreo’s. =)
And that’s why I love figuring out how to make many store-bought condiments at home, such as this horseradish sauce or homemade dressings, so I can make sure I’m getting the healthiest options possible.
This quick and easy recipe also only takes about 20 minutes of your time, and most of it is just stirring. So no hard labor involved.
So have I convinced you yet? Making your own is not only easy, but you’ll know exactly what’s going into it.
This BBQ Sauce uses many ingredients you may already have in your house. It’s also foolproof; all you have to do is throw it all in a saucepan and warm it up on the stove. Easy!
How to make this Vegan BBQ Sauce:
To begin, in a medium saucepan over low heat, all the ingredients and stir with a whisk until combined. Warm on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If it starts boiling, turn down the heat.
Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. When ready, remove from heat. Transfer the bbq sauce to an airtight glass container and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to cool.
This recipes makes 1 1/4 cups or 20 (2 tablespoon) servings. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week in an airtight container.
How to use this easy barbecue sauce:
I love to use this healthier, homemade barbecue sauce on so many things, including:
- veggie burgers
- portobello mushroom burgers
- or even as a pizza sauce!
If you try this Vegan BBQ Sauce recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your photo with #veggie__chick on Instagram. I just love to see my recipes being made in YOUR kitchen!
Sweet and Spicy Vegan BBQ SaucePin Rate
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 ounce can unsalted tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard – whole grain mustard also works
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons black molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan liquid smoke – optional
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, all ingredients and stir with a whisk until combined. Warm on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to an airtight glass container and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour to cool.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in June 2017, but was republished with new photos, step by step instructions, tips, and FAQs in September 2019.