Super Easy Black Beans & Rice
This recipe for Black Beans and Rice is super easy to make in just 15 minutes (and budget friendly!). It’s also extremely versatile and can be added to tacos, burrito bowls, tofu scrambles, and more.
- Author: Christin McKamey
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish, Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: South American/Caribbean
- In a large non-stick saucepan, heat vegetable broth over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft and transparent, and garlic is fragrant.
- Reduce heat slightly, then add the green chiles, pre-cooked rice, black beans, and salt and pepper. Heat until warm throughout, about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add vinegar, lime juice and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- This dish is best served immediately, but can also be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days. If not eating immediately, I recommend adding a splash of lime juice to the dish before serving.
- Eat on its own or, as a filling for a burrito or tacos, or with scrambled tofu for breakfast (see ideas for serving in the Notes section below). There are so many options!
- If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, I recommend buying the frozen organic brown rice, which has individual packets of cooked rice. It makes this dish even more easy! Each packet is 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice.
- The Chipotle Black Beans take some extra time, but if you are already planning to use them for the week in other recipes, I highly recommend them for this recipe as well, as they make this dish a bit more flavorful.
- Add roasted sweet corn, or diced veggies like red bell pepper, red onion, chopped green onions or halved cherry tomatoes.
- You can add your favorite hot sauce to this dish, such as Frank’s Red Hot, Green Pepper Tabasco Sauce, or salsa.
- Add in additional spices such as cajun seasoning, chipotle powder, chili powder, cumin, Aleppo pepper, or Spanish Paprika.
- Add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
How to eat Black Beans and Rice:
- Use in a “burrito bowl” and top with avocado, crushed tortilla chips and salsa.
- Use this recipe in this Mexican Black Bean Bulgar Bowl, in place of the black beans and bulgar.
- Serve it with a side of Classic Guacamole.
- Use it as a topping for nachos and drizzle with this Vegan Queso.
- Use as a filling with soft or crunchy tortillas to make tacos, tostadas, or as the filling for enchiladas.
- Eat it for breakfast mixed in with scrambled tofu, or veggie sausage.
- Add in some soy chorizo for a fuller meal.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: .8
- Sodium: 466
- Fat: 2.8
- Carbohydrates: 41.2
- Protein: 8.5
Keywords: easy black beans and rice, black beans and rice, rice and beans, vegan, gluten free