This recipe for Black Beans and Rice is super easy to make and great for nights when you don’t have much time to cook. It’s also oil-free!
I asked my husband to describe this Black Beans and Rice dish in a few words, and his response was “it tastes like Florida”. Ha, I knew what he meant but it made me laugh! I like to say it’s “fresh, fun and citrusy”. =)
I love this recipe because not only is it really easy, but it’s also filling and fresh with hints of lime. And it’s so versatile. You can use these black beans and rice in so many dishes, such as burritos, tacos, enchiladas, you name it. Or just have it on its own with a few tortilla chips. Yum.
To get started, in a large saucepan, heat the vegetable broth over medium heat. Then add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is transparent and garlic is fragrant.
Next, add the pre-cooked rice, black beans, salt and pepper, and the green chiles (if desired). Heat until warm throughout.
Remove from heat, add the vinegar and stir.
Lastly, add the lime juice and cilantro and stir to combine. This dish is best served immediately to get the best flavor, or you can store in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days.Print
Super Easy Black Beans & Rice
This recipe for Black Beans and Rice is super easy to make and great for weeknights when you don’t have much time to cook.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3
- 2 tablespoons unsalted vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (or use 1 1/4 cups Instant Pot Chipotle Black Beans)
- 1 1/2 cups (10 ounces) cooked brown rice, cooled
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4-ounce can mild green chiles, optional
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable broth over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is transparent and garlic is fragrant.
- Add pre-cooked rice, black beans, salt and pepper, and green chiles (if desired). Heat until warm throughout.
- Remove from heat, add vinegar and stir.
- Add lime juice and cilantro and stir to combine.
- This dish is best served immediately, but can also be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Eat on its own or, as a filling for a burrito or tacos, or with scrambled tofu for breakfast. So many options!
This recipe makes about 4 cups total, or 3 (1 1/3 cup) servings.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups