This Smashed White Bean and Avocado Sandwich/Dip is incredibly easy to make, with very few ingredients! It’s similar to the egg salad sandwich, but much healthier and with so much flavor!
One of my favorite things in the world is a good sandwich. I love the fact that I can feel completely fulfilled with a meat-free sandwich, but I have to admit this wasn’t always the case. It was a long time ago, but I used to love meat just as much as the next chick, and it was a difficult transition when I had my first vegetarian sandwich. “What do you mean, no meat? How is this a sandwich!!?” It felt incomplete. Now I laugh at that thought because I have found so many ways to enjoy a vegetarian/vegan sandwich and feel completely fulfilled. When I tell people I am vegetarian, I’ve heard “Whaaat do you eat?”, like there are so little options out there. As a food blogger I can tell you- the options are limitless. It comes down to being creative and finding ways to mix and match a million different foods.
To begin making this sandwich, first, in a large bowl, combine the white beans, chickpeas and avocados. I like to mash them up with a potato masher so they are combined but still a little chunky.
Then add in the rest of the ingredients (red onion, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, pepper, mustard, salt and olive oil) and stir it up with a large spoon. Bam! Just like that you have your sandwich filling. Spread it on your favorite bread and top with tomatoes.
I call this recipe a “sandwich”, but it’s really the makings of a great filling- for a sandwich, wrap, or even as a healthy dip (with some yummy veggie chips)…
To store, make sure you pack this up in a container with as little air as possible, so the avocado doesn’t brown. Tip: you can put the mixture into a container and then cover it with parchment or wax paper. Press down on the wax paper so it’s completely covering the mix, and no air is exposing it. Then wrap a rubber band or hair tie around the container to seal. This will help it stay fresh a lot longer!
This is best served immediately, but will keep another day or two in the fridge.Print
Smashed White Bean and Avocado Sandwich/Dip (Vegan)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 15 ounce can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 ripe avocados, pitted
- 3/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- favorite multigrain bread
- fresh tomatoes, sprouts, etc.
- In a large bowl, combine the white beans, chickpeas and avocados. Mash with a potato masher. It should be mashed well but still chunky.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir with a large spoon until blended. Spread onto sandwich bread and top with ingredients of choice (tomato, sprouts, etc.). You can also use this as a dip.
- Best served immediately.
Nutrition based on 1 serving (out of 6 total servings).
Note: The nutrition info. is for the avocado dip only (does not include bread or toppings).