This Slow Cooker Sage and White Bean Soup is so easy to make, so healthy packed with fresh veggies and so….yum! It’s a great weeknight meal and stays good in the fridge for days.
One of my memories from childhood is my mom making her Ham and Bean soup. It was one of my favorite meals, and I always remember the beans cooking for hours and hours, while my siblings and I were starving (and probably complaining). =)
Since becoming vegan, I’ve tried to find ways to incorporate those childhood recipes into my own cruelty-free creations. I’ve been experimenting for years with different flavors in bean soup, and I think I’ve finally found a keeper. The secret ingredient- fresh sage!! This herb is oh-so-yummy and leaves a hearty, earthy taste to this comfort food. Be sure to use fresh sage for this recipe; dried just doesn’t taste the same.
This soup is also made in a slow cooker, which is one of the world’s best inventions (next to the Instant Pot of course). It’s great when I’m working a lot and just want dinner to magically make itself! Ok, so it does take “a little” work, but most of the work is done behind the scenes.
How to make this slow cooker soup:
To start, gather and prepare all of the ingredients. Finely chop the onion, grate the carrots and zucchini, mince the garlic and finely chop the sage. Throw all ingredients (except for lemon juice), into the slow cooker.
Turn the slow cooker on low for 8-10 hours or high 6-7 hours. Test the beans for doneness and when soft, add the lemon juice and stir. Remove the bay leaves and serve.
This Sage and White Bean Soup is a super comforting dish perfect for cold nights, or just when you want something healthy and easy. It will stay good in the fridge for about 5-6 days, if kept in the fridge in an airtight container (or in the slow cooker with the lid). And the longer it sits, the more flavorful it becomes. Before serving, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Looking for another slow cooker soup recipe? Try my Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup.
Slow Cooker Sage & White Bean SoupPin Rate
- 1 medium white onion - finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 medium carrots - grated (about 1/2 cup), no need to peel carrots if organic- OR you can also use 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium zucchini - grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups packed - chopped kale (hard parts discarded)
- 1 pound dry navy beans
- 1 15 ounce can sweet corn, drained
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika - or regular paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Add all ingredients (except lemon juice) to slow cooker. Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 6-7 hours. *Time may be a bit longer depending on slow cooker.
- Taste to make sure beans are cooked fully. When ready, remove bay leaves and add lemon juice. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serves 10.