One of my favorite guilty pleasures is Indian food. My husband and I frequent this tiny Indian restaurant in a nearby downtown, and the food is always so delicious I can never get enough (especially the Naan bread with coconut!). This one-pot Vegetable Keema is not only easy, but full of fresh ingredients. It’s great for those not familiar with Indian food, as it’s flavorful but not spicy (it also contains no curry!). And if you are a meat/dairy eater, this recipe can be easily adjusted.
To start, grab a large, deep frying or sautéing pan (see photo below for the sautéing pot I used). Over moderate heat, add olive oil and onions. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and fresh ginger (if using ground ginger, wait to add this in until later). Stir and cook for 1 more minute. Reduce heat to medium.
Add beef and cook until warm. I like to use Trader Joe’s Beef-less Ground Beef.
The beef should be pre-cooked so you just need to warm it up. If substituting with regular ground beef, cook until no longer pink and drain if desired.
Add 2 tablespooons of water. Then add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, pepper, and salt. Cook for 1 minute while stirring. Stir in soy creamer or soy milk, yogurt, potatoes, celery, and carrots. Cover and bring to a slow boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and stir in the frozen peas, and simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and cilantro. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving (sauce will thicken).
Serve with a small portion of brown rice and naan bread. I love the garlic naan bread from…you guessed it! Trader Joes. =)Print
One Pot Vegetable Keema (Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 12 ounces precooked beef-less ground beef (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 2 tablespoons soy creamer (or unsweetened soy milk)
- 3/4 cup dairy free plain yogurt or sour cream
- 6 small gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces (makes about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In large, deep frying pan, heat olive oil over moderate heat. Add onion and cook about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and fresh ginger (if using ground ginger, add with other spices). Cook for 1 more minute. Add precooked beef and cook until warm (if using real ground beef, cook until no longer pink and drain, if desired). Add 2 tablespoons water, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, pepper, and salt. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in potatoes, celery, carrots, yogurt/sour cream and soy creamer/milk. Cover. Bring to barely a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and stir in frozen peas. Simmer about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and cilantro and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with naan bread and/or brown rice.