This fruity and flavorful Acai Bowl is a traditional Hawaiian favorite- with fresh fruit and the Brazilian super fruit, Acai.
I love to travel. Most people do, but I really really LOVE to travel. I cannot express the feeling I get from experiencing different cultures and languages. I love finding myself in uncomfortable but liberating experiences, and indulging in some exotic cuisine. And my favorite of course, is HAWAII.
And since I’m always Hawaii dreaming, I had to create a recipe in honor of my all-time favorite vacation spot.
Acai (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) berries come from Northern South American regions and contain antioxidants great for your health. Acai berries themselves are hard to find, as they live a short period of time. Because of that, you’ll most likely find them in supplements or freeze dried form.
My favorite way to enjoy this fruit is by using the puree packets available at Whole Foods. And I’ve even seen them at Costco and on Amazon. You can easily enjoy this fruit in an acai bowl or even as a smoothie by just adding a little more coconut milk.
*You can also find the freeze-dried powder and add to your smoothies, etc. Find it at Amazon here….Sambazon Organic Freeze Dried Acai Powder. So good! And if you have some leftover, try it in this recipe for Superfood Acai Bars.
How to make this Acai Bowl:
To make, blend the acai packets, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 the banana, 3-4 strawberries, maple syrup, and mint leaves in a food processor until blended smooth.
Transfer to bowl and top with the remaining fresh berries, granola and unsweetened coconut. Serves 2.
Enjoy this Acai Bowl near the ocean, if you are so lucky.
If you try this Acai Bowl, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your photo with #veggie__chick on Instagram. We love to see our recipes being made in YOUR kitchen!
Acai Bowl (Vegan, Gluten-Free)Pin Rate
- Food Processor
- 2 packets acai puree packs - I use Sambazon brand- found at Whole Foods or Costco
- 1 cup blueberries - divided
- 1 ripe banana - sliced (divided)
- 10 medium strawberries - sliced (divided)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2-3 mint leaves
- 1/2 cup favorite granola - gluten free if desired
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut
- Blend acai packets, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 the banana, 3-4 strawberries, maple syrup, and mint leaves in food processor until blended smooth.
- Transfer to bowl and top with the remaining fresh berries, granola and unsweetened coconut. Serves 2.