This macaroni salad is dairy free and amazing. What a great way to sneak some vegan food in your potluck! They’ll never know 😉 I especially love the addition of sweet peas. Yum.
Macaroni salad…the classic American BBQ side dish. What better time to enjoy it than on the 4th of July? I love macaroni salad, but every time I see one of those Costco containers at a BBQ, I cringe. And I don’t even dare look at the ingredients list! It’s loaded with fat, calories, a gallon of mayonnaise and a bunch of other ingredients I can’t pronounce. I thought I’d finally get around to making a healthier version of macaroni salad- and dairy free! Per serving it’s only 184 calories and 6 grams of fat; much better than it’s dairy distant cousin. I love the addition of sweet peas and the super crunch of celery and red onions; it’s the perfect combination. It also doesn’t require too much time (or brain power) to make. Double bonus!
Side note: Macaroni salad is also a major staple in Hawaii! They serve virtually everything with a side of “mac salad” and rice. Carb overload right? Still, it’s good stuff. =)
So let’s make it already.
First, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and rinse.
Next in a large bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and combine. Then add the cold pasta and stir to combine. Serves 8. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
This macaroni salad is dairy free and AHHmazing. What a great way to sneak some vegan food in your potluck! They'll never know 😉 I especially love the addition of sweet peas. Yum.
15 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 8 ounces gluten free macaroni pasta (I used Banza gluten-free chickpea pasta)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh sweet peas, thawed (do not use canned peas)
- 1 cup arugula, chopped (fresh baby spinach is also good)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard (whole grain if possible)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- In a large bowl, add all remaining ingredients and combine. Add cold pasta and stir to combine. Serves 8.