This Potato Leek Soup is super creamy, with a unique smoky flavor. It’s also gluten free, packed full of healthy ingredients and so easy to make in your Instant Pot.
Let’s just say we’ve eaten A LOT of potato soup this week, as I made this recipe a total of 5 times before I got it right.
So why the heck did it take 5 tries? Well, the first 4 batches I was experimenting with different types of potatoes and developing the perfect texture. I first made it with red and baby potatoes, and while the soup tasted good, the texture was just not as creamy as I was hoping for.
So the results were in- Russet potatoes are the way to go. These type of potatoes give this soup the creaminess I was looking for, and other potatoes just don’t compare.
Also, this is not your every day potato soup with loads of butter and chicken broth. This Potato Leek soup is made with zero oil, and with the addition of soy sauce and liquid smoke, it has a very distinct, yummy flavor.
This is definitely going into my weekly rotation this winter! Enjoy. =)
How to make this Instant Pot potato leek soup:
Set your Instant Pot (at least 6 quarts in size) to Sauté. Add the vegetable broth, onion, celery, leek, and garlic cloves. Stir for 5-6 minutes, or until onion is translucent and soft. Shut off the Instant Pot.
Add the water, potatoes, salt, pepper, Spanish paprika, thyme, liquid smoke, soy sauce, butter and almond milk. Close lid and make sure it is set to “Sealing”. Then set to the “Soup” function (or Manual, or Pressure Cook) for 25 minutes. Close the lid.
The Instant Pot will build up pressure and then cook for 25 minutes. After cooking, it will need roughly 15-20 minutes to release the pressure.
When ready, open the Instant Pot. Add the nutritional yeast and stir. Then carefully use an immersion blender to blend the soup. OR, transfer the soup to a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to do this in 2 batches. Be careful, it will be hot!
This recipe makes about 4 cups, or 4 (1-cup) servings.
Instant Pot Potato-Leek SoupPin Rate
- 1/2 medium white onion - diced
- 4 stalks celery - chopped
- 1 leek - chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups diced Russet potatoes - about 1 large or 2 medium*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- *For this recipe, use an Instant Pot at least 6 quarts in size.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté. Add onion, celery, leek, and garlic cloves. Add vegetable broth and stir for 5-6 minutes, or until onion is translucent and soft. Shut off the Instant Pot.
- Add water, potatoes, salt, pepper, Spanish paprika, thyme, liquid smoke, soy sauce, butter and almond milk. Close lid and make sure it is set to Sealingâ€. Set to the Soupâ€ function (or Manual/Pressure Cook) for 25 minutes. The Instant Pot will build up pressure and then cook for 25 minutes. After cooking, it will need another 15-20 minutes to release the pressure.
- Add nutritional yeast and stir. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup to your desired consistency. OR, you can transfer to a high powered blender and blend until smooth. I recommend doing this in 2 batches depending on the size of your blender.