Instant Pot Chipotle Black Beans (Vegan, GF)
Canned beans, schmanned beans. Nothing is better than cooking your own DRIED beans from scratch! These Chipotle Black Beans are SO easy (and cheap!) to prepare in your Instant Pot and the flavors outperform any can of beans. It’s a win-win.
- Author: Christin McKamey
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 40
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Staple Recipes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté. Add the 2 tablespoons water (or vegetable broth), chopped onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onions are soft and translucent
- Next add the water (or 3 cups vegetable broth), dried black beans and all spices.
- Press Stop to reset the Instant Pot and then press the Bean/Chili button (or Manual/Pressure Cook) and set the time to 35 minutes. The Instant Pot will start to build pressure and after pressurized, it will cook for 35 minutes. After cooking, it will need to sit for awhile to release pressure (about 15 minutes).
- When the pressure is released, remove the lid. The beans will be sitting in some liquid; taste to make sure they are cooked through and to your desired spiciness.** If desired, add a little more chipotle powder and/or lime juice and stir.
- Use a handheld strainer to remove the beans. Save the liquid for adding to recipes if desired. Makes 3 cups.
- Store these beans (with or without liquid) in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- *If using soaked beans, reduce cooking time by 10-15 minutes. These beans will keep 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. *You can also double the ingredients in this recipe. Cook the same time- 35 minutes.
- **If the beans are not cooked to your liking at the end of the 35 minutes, you can cook for additional 5 minutes on the same settings.
- I save the liquid from the beans to use in certain recipes as it contains a lot of flavor. I use a few spoonfuls of the liquid in burrito bowls, tofu scrambles, etc.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 1.3
- Sodium: 15
- Fat: .7
- Carbohydrates: 22.5
- Protein: 7.4
Keywords: chipotle black beans, instant pot black beans, easy instant pot black beans