This sauce is made with fresh horseradish, and it’s deliciously dairy-free with very few ingredients. It’s zesty, tangy, peppery, and ready to be your favorite dipping sauce.
Horseradish usually goes hand in hand with beef, but I like to think it can be used in vegan recipes much better! This sauce can be used in all sorts of ways. These are just a few that come to mind:
- as a zesty spread in sandwiches
- mix a little in with hummus or even guacamole
- add to some salad dressings
- add to mashed potatoes or cauliflower mashed potatoes
- in a Veggie Reuben sandwich
- on sushi rolls (instead of wasabi)
- in Bloody Marys!
But my all-time favorite use for this sauce is with my Potato-Cauliflower Latkes– yum!! The sauce gives a slight kick of zingy flavor in every bite. Ketchup does not stand a chance.
Aside from being delicious, this sauce is also SUPER easy to prepare. To make, in a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir until fully combined. The only semi-difficult part is grating the horseradish. Just be sure to peel it first and then peel away the hard parts. I use a hand grater and although I have to put a little muscle into it, it works perfectly fine. If you decide to use prepared horseradish instead of fresh, check the ingredients because many times vinegar and salt is already added to it. If it is, you may need to adjust the vinegar and salt to taste, or omit completely.
This recipe makes about 3/4 cup of horseradish sauce, or 12 (2 tablespoon servings). It’s also low in calories and fat making it a great choice compared to store-bought sauces.
Keep the sauce stored in an airtight container in the fridge and it will last a few days. Enjoy!
Horseradish Sauce (Vegan, Gluten Free)
This sauce is made with fresh horseradish, and it’s deliciously dairy-free. It’s tangy, peppery, and ready to be your favorite dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1/2 cup grated fresh horseradish (peel horseradish first and remove hard pieces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Organic Vegenaise or other non-dairy mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Makes about 3/4 cup.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons