This easy cauliflower pasta sauce is a unique take on the traditional butter and cream versions, but way healthier!
I’ve seen cauliflower being used all over the internet, in the place of pizza crust, mashed potatoes, rice, etc. and I just love this idea. What a great way to add in another veggie to your everyday meals- and even better when it comes as a disguise. No one will know the sauce is made from cauliflower if you don’t tell them! I also love capers and I often try to find ways to use them in my recipes. Since when do capers have to be used only in salmon dishes, or chicken piccata? They give off an olivey-type, salty flavor and I can’t get enough- I eat them right out of the jar! So I had fun adding them into this creamy sauce. I think the capers are balanced nicely with the basil. Just remember, they are pretty salty on their own. So keep that in mind before you reach for more salt.
To start, boil cauliflower in a large pot of water over medium high heat for 8-10 minutes, or until cauliflower is soft. Drain and transfer to a large food processor or blender. Add nutritional yeast (if you have it on hand- it adds a “cheesy” like flavor without all the dairy), soy creamer (or milk), vegetable broth, sea salt and pepper. Blend on low until cauliflower is creamy (stirring occasionally if necessary). Add the fresh basil and blend on high until basil is blended into small pieces and the sauce is very creamy. Add up to 1/4 cup of vegetable stock if the sauce needs thinning.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add vegan butter and swirl around in pan until melted. Reduce heat to low, and add cauliflower sauce to pan. Stir. Add capers and simmer on low for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add lemon juice. Remove from heat and stir.
Serve mixed with your favorite pasta.
Keep in mind, this is a sauce made out of cauliflower- not butter and cream, so it’s not going to taste identical to the traditional buttery sauces. However, if you’re in the mood for an Alfredo-like sauce that has an added nutritional benefit, this is it!Print
Creamy Cauliflower Pasta Sauce
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 4-5 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 large head)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy creamer or milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Boil the cauliflower over medium high for 7-10 minutes or until soft. Rinse and drain.
- In a food processor or blender, add cauliflower, nutritional yeast (optional), soy creamer or milk, vegetable broth, sea salt, and black pepper. Blend on low until cauliflower is creamy. Add basil and blend on high until basil is blended into small pieces and the sauce is very creamy. Add up to 1/4 cup of vegetable stock if sauce needs thinning.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add vegan butter and swirl around in pan until melted. Reduce heat to low, and add cauliflower sauce to pan and stir. Add capers and simmer on low for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice, stir and remove from heat. Serve mixed with your favorite pasta.