These healthy, chewy Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies may remind you of your favorite banana bread dipped in chocolate. And they contain no butter or dairy so you can enjoy without all the guilt.
Hey! I’m writing you from Nashville, ya’ll! (yeah, I totally went there). I’m here for a work conference with my colleague/friend Kelly and so far loving this city! We went downtown a couple times, checked out live music and bars (so much to choose from), had an amazing dinner with live music at Sambuca, and crashed a dive bar and got to see some incredible undiscovered talent at the Music City Bar and Grille- thanks for the referral Uber driver! =) The training has been intense, but we’re really enjoying the night life and looking forward to more good times ahead. As a country music fan, I really love Nashville and it’s entirely possible I’ve lived here as a singer/songwriter in a former life. I know a karaoke night will be in my near future.
So where do I start with these chocolate chip banana cookies? I originally intended on these being an oatmeal-focused cookie, yet somehow they ended up being more banana-focused and I couldn’t be happier. Think banana bread + chocolate + oatmeal meets cookie. It’s a perfect concoction, and did I mention they are dairy and butter free?
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, almond meal, and baking powder. Stir to combine; then add the cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir again until combined.
To a small bowl, add the melted coconut oil, then the banana. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the banana. Then add the coconut sugar, and chocolate chips. Stir with a spoon to combine thoroughly.
Add the wet mix to the dry mix in the medium bowl. Stir together until combined.
Next, drop the cookie batter 1 1/2 tablespoons per cookie onto the parchment paper. I use this OXO medium cookie scooper and it’s a godsend for perfectly shaped cookies.
Bake the cookies for 15-17 minutes or until the bottoms are browned. This recipe makes 12 cookies. They will last up to a week in the fridge.
Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 3/4 cup quick or regular oats, gluten free if desired
- 3/4 cup almond meal (flour ground from almonds)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine oats, almond meal, and baking powder. Stir to combine; then add cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, add melted coconut oil, then the banana. Mash the banana using a potato masher or fork. Then add the coconut sugar, and chocolate chips. Stir with a spoon to combine thoroughly.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix in the medium bowl and stir together until combined. Drop cookie batter 1 1/2 tablespoons per cookie onto the parchment paper. Bake 15-17 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Makes 12 cookies. They will last up to a week in the fridge.