Chickpea No-Tuna Salad with Sauerkraut
This Chickpea No-Tuna Salad with Sauerkraut is ridiculously easy to make as a quick healthy meal or snack. You can enjoy it in a sandwich, tortilla, on a bed of lettuce, or enjoy with some crackers. So many options. =)
- Prep Time: 20
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 4 1/2 cups
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, chopped + 2 tablespoons juice from jar
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo (I like Organic Vegenaise)
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- small pinch cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, add chickpeas and using a potato masher, smash the chickpeas until most smashed, with some remaining whole. Add the broccoli, red cabbage, red onion and sauerkraut.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, sauerkraut juice, mustard, lemon juice, almond milk, maple syrup and all spices. Stir.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the chickpea mix and stir until combined. Serve. This recipe makes a total of about 4 1/2 cups. Serving size: 3/4 cup.
Keep this chickpea salad in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-6 days.
Keywords: tuna salad, chickpea salad