Simple Basil Pesto Quinoa- an easy way to dress up quinoa, with classic flavors of roasted red peppers, basil, pine nuts, and lemon juice. All you need is 25 minutes and a few fresh ingredients.
I really love quinoa as a side dish, but sometimes I’m just not sure what to do with it. Seasoning with spices never seems to give it enough flavor, so I thought a pesto sauce might do the trick. And I was right!
This sauce adds just the right amount of delicious flavor to every bite of quinoa. The nutritional yeast gives it a cheesy taste, and the lemon juice finishes it off fresh and citrusy.
How to make this Basil Pesto Quinoa:
To begin, add the rinsed quinoa to 1 cup water and 1 cup unsalted vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover the pot, reduce the heat and cook until all the liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, make the pesto. To a food processor or high powered blender, add the roasted red peppers, basil leaves, garlic powder, salt, pine nuts, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. If needed, add a little warm water (one teaspoon at a time) to thin.
Finally, mix the basil pesto into the hot quinoa and stir until combined. If desired, top with extra toasted pine nuts and fresh lemon juice. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
This recipe makes 4 cups quinoa and is perfect as a side dish, or serve with roasted vegetables for a full meal.
Do you love quinoa? Try these other nutritious recipes…
And if you try this Basil Pesto Quinoa recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #veggie__chick on Instagram. I just love to see my recipes being made in YOUR kitchen!
Basil Pesto Quinoa (Vegan, Gluten Free)Pin Rate
- 1 cup quinoa - rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable broth
- 1/2 12 ounce can roasted red peppers, drained
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- Add rinsed quinoa to water and unsalted vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook until all liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the pesto, add roasted red peppers, basil leaves, garlic powder, salt, pine nuts, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice to a high powered blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Add a little warm water to thin.
- Mix the pesto into the quinoa and top with extra pine nuts and lemon juice.