Bagel Thin Pesto Sandwiches- so easy to make with no cooking required. They are also so versatile! Eat them for breakfast, lunch or just a snack.
The inspiration for this Bagel Pesto Sandwich came from last time we were in Hawaii, when we went to a coffee shop in Kauai called Java Kai. They had the BEST coffee and these amazing hummus/pesto bagel sandwiches.
That’s what inspired this less-carb version of these simple, yet satisfying sandwiches. I love that they work well for breakfast, lunch or just as a snack.
How to make these Bagel Pesto Sandwiches:
Using a food processor, add the pine nuts and chop until fine. Add the rest of the pesto ingredients and blend until combined and smooth. If you don’t have a food processor, a mortar and pestle bowl also works well (although a little more work). I suggest this one.
Toast the bagel thins in a toaster. On each half, add 1 tablespoon of hummus, followed by 2 tablespoons pesto. Top with tomato, roasted red pepper, or arugula and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
This recipe makes 4 bagel halves (or 2 full bagels). They are best served immediately when the bagels are still warm. I’m thinking the pesto/hummus would be equally amazing on English muffins. Yum…
And if you try this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #veggie__chick on Instagram. I just love to see my recipes being made in YOUR kitchen!
Bagel Thin Pesto Sandwich (Vegan)Pin Rate
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 cup packed arugula
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons favorite hummus
- 2 bagel thins - 4 sides
- freshly ground black pepper and salt
- tomato slices
- roasted red peppers - from jar (drained)
- Using a food processor, add the pine nuts and process until chopped fine. Add the rest of the pesto ingredients and blend until combined and smooth.
- Toast the bagel thins in a toaster.
- On each half, add 1 tablespoon of hummus, followed by 2 tablespoons pesto. Top with tomato, roasted red pepper, or arugula and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Makes 4 bagel halves (2 full bagels). Best served when bagels are still warm.