This classic vegan Guacamole recipe is simple, and uses all fresh ingredients. Serve it with tortilla chips, or as a compliment to any Mexican dish.
Plus, check out my pro tip below for keeping guacamole fresh longer (and not turning brown!). =)
This guacamole is my GO-TO recipe, with no extra frills or anything crazy. And it doesn’t need anything extra- because it’s just THAT GOOD. It’s…
- easy to add to/omit ingredients
- freaking delicious
I swear, every single time my husband tries this guacamole he says “This is the BEST guacamole I’ve EVER had. Seriously.” I’ve heard him say this at least a dozen times and it never gets old. So let’s get to making it!
How to make this vegan guacamole recipe:
To begin, cut the avocados in half and scoop out the seeds. Scoop out the avocado flesh with a spoon (or special avocado tool) and add to a medium sized bowl (I use this stainless steel bowl). Mash it a little with a potato masher. Don’t mash too much; leave it a little chunky; see below.
Next add the remaining ingredients; chopped white onion, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, minced garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, ground sea salt, cumin, black pepper, and crushed red pepper and/or cayenne pepper (optional).
Stir well with your spoon until blended.
Serve immediately for freshest taste, or refrigerate until ready (see pro tip below). Makes roughly 2 cups guacamole.
Pro Tip: How to keep your guacamole from turning brown!
If you’re like me, you’ve experienced guacamole turning brown within a day or even a few hours. Ick.
To keep the avocado from turning brown- add the guacamole to a glass or plastic sealable container. Before you put the lid on, place some wax paper or plastic wrap over the container and press down onto the surface of the guacamole until it’s flat and no air is exposed to the guacamole. Place the lid on over the wax paper/plastic wrap. It works like a charm.
If you try this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your photo with #veggie__chick on Instagram. I just love to see my recipes being made in YOUR kitchen!
Classic Guacamole (Vegan, Gluten-Free)Pin Rate
- 3 medium avocados
- 1/2 white onion – finely diced (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes – seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro – finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice – roughly 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice – roughly 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- dash of crushed red pepper and/or cayenne pepper – optional
- Cut avocados in half; remove seeds. Scoop out avocado flesh from the peel; add to a medium mixing bowl (I use this stainless steel bowl). Using a fork or masher, mash the avocados (not too much; it should be a little chunky).
- Add the chopped white onion and tomatoes, cilantro, garlic cloves, lime juice, lemon juice, ground sea salt, cumin, black pepper, crushed red pepper and/or cayenne pepper (optional) and mix with a large spoon until blended.
- Serve immediately for freshest taste, or refrigerate until ready. Makes roughly 2 cups guacamole.